This October, what will you be reading?

This coming October, as things are normalizing, what books are you planning (or will continue) to read? [If possible] Why?

1 Like

I’ll continue to read Non Violent Communication. It’s a pretty interesting book that shows me how to properly talk to people, with clear guidelines on what to do and what to avoid.

I’m also thinking of re-reading the first law trilogy. I’m missing me some San Dan Glokta. I’ll try to get the physical books this time round though.

2 Likes

I’m still reading Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman. It’s been very slow because the book is empirical and derives concepts from the starting point of experiments. Plus Kahneman isn’t the most compelling writer, although nobody can argue with the ideas.

Next is either Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett or the Sapiens.

1 Like

I’m planning to re-read Skin in the Game by Nicholas Nassim Taleb.

It has been a while since I last read it. I’m hoping his ideas on how the world does(and should) work are going to be as interesting and fun as the last time I read them.

1 Like

Ooof. I read Daniel Kahneman. Really slow read! I’d recommend Sapiens; thoroughly enjoyed it. I want to re-read it. I hope it still reads well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Currently reading the Goldfinch by Donna Tartt and planning to move onto The Havoc of Choice by Wambui Koinange when I’m done

1 Like

I am actually reading that very same book. I am also thinking of reading Marcus Aurelius’ Meditations

Are you also reading Kahneman? I get really annoyed at his writing style at times, but then the information he propounds is earth-shattering, if you’ll pardon the hyperbole.

‘Meditations’ is not bad. It has some incredible gems. Personally, I don’t ascribe very much to stoic philosophy, so the greatest thing I got from the book was the realization that Aurelius was searching for something in the same manner that I am - around 2000 years ago.

1 Like

I think that his writing style is quite playful. Try reading it one chapter a day. It is going to open your mind. Veritasium ( on youtube ) actually a summary of Thinking Fast and Slow. I don’t remember the name of the video but it should give a proper summary before you continue reading the book. It will hopefully ease up your reading experience.

I’m just giving stoicism a try

I’m gonna paste the link to the Veritasium video here.

1 Like

I was reading 4 chapters a day at some point. I’ve geared down to 1 or 2 daily at this point. I’ve got maybe 100 pages to go. I get the impression that the final section ‘Two Selves’ isn’t as dense as the earlier sections.

I’ve been reading “Data and Reality” after reading: https://buttondown.email/hillelwayne/archive/data-and-reality-2nd-edition/. So far it’s been a good read. I like that it raises a lot of philosophical questions around data \m/\m/

2 Likes

I’m reading “Atlas Shrugged” by Ayn Rand.

It’s something out of what I normally read, a friend of mine suggested it to me.

2 Likes

Joyce Wambui via Urban Perspective Book Club
noreply@upbookclub.com writes:

[18] Joyce_Wambui
October 11

I’m reading “Atlas Shrugged” by Ayn Rand.

It’s something out of what I normally read, a
friend of mine suggested it to me.

How is it so far? I remember reading it in my
second year of uni(or thereabouts). Made me think
a certain way(no spoilers!) for a minute there. I
liked the book, but as I’ve grown older, I no
longer agree with some of the principles(if not
all) Ayn Rand advocates for. This might(?) be
something worth re-reading.

Great book. I refer to I a lot these days.

1 Like

Took me quite some time to get past the preface :sweat_smile:. Had to switch to the audiobook at some point.

2 Likes

1984 by George Orwell.

Orwell’s ability to relay emotion using words is rather intriguing. This particular read focuses on a dystopic society. I suppose Orwell most probably coined the term ‘Big Brother’. Anyways I’m really keen on how humanity is always subjugated, and tyrannized by so called elitists.

4 Likes

1984 by George Orwell.

Classic(and classy)!

Orwell’s ability to relay emotion using words is
rather intriguing. This particular read focuses
on a dystopic society. I suppose Orwell most
probably coined the term ‘Big Brother’.

He coined that word \m/\m/

Anyways
I’m really keen on how humanity is always
subjugated, and tyrannized by so called elitists.

Ah yes. But to what end? You should watch the show
“Yes, Minister”. Has alot of that theme—
subjugation & tyranny in a subtle way by people in
power happening a lot.

I like it so far. I’m still at the beginning, I skipped the Introduction and jumped right into the work.
I’m reading it in parallel with “How Not To Be Wrong” by Jordan Ellenberg.

1 Like