What are the best movies to watch?

Picked off from discussion on WhatsApp:

One of my most recommended movies is the prestige. It’s a movie that exposes the biases we tend to have. When watched the first time, we suffer from information bias where we are given the answer upfront but we don’t want to believe the answer is as simple as it seems, so we continue to watch the movie hoping for something more. When re-watching, we suffer from hindsight/recency bias, where the answer seems so obvious that we fault ourselves for not discovering it at the beginning.

2 Likes

Other movies that got recommended are:

• Old Boy
  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
  • V for Vendetta
  • Inglorious bastards
  • A Clockwork Orange
2 Likes

Lets not forget

• Inception
  • Memento
1 Like
  • I think Memento is brilliant, but once I finished the movie and discovered the trick, I’ve never been able to rewatch it again (although this was quite a while back, so I probably should try to rewatch it again)
  • Inception is a good movie :smiley:
1 Like

That is a new reading to me. I always thought it was a contrived metafilm where the two main characters are essentially stand ins for modern day filmmakers and other story tellers (but mostly filmmakers). The struggles they o through creatively are the same struggles the Writer/Director Chris Nolan himself has gone through(in spirit at least) and others have gone through because of Chris. One example I can think of is that the ending of the movie Arrival was changed when interstellar came out.

For V for Vendetta I might recommend the graphic novel as I personally think they handled the story better.

2 Likes

Seen Memento Five times. I don’t think that trick gets old. Try reading the screenplay for a proper mindf***

I’ll try to re-watch memento and see if it’s still good for me. I’ve never actually tried, just reasoned out that it wouldn’t be that great to rewatch.

For a proper mindfuck, Tenet is one (if you’ve seen it). I left the cinema hall so confused, that I have to rewatch it a couple of times to have a proper understanding of what’s going on.

1 Like

Not yet but you should try I’m thinking of ending things. A very underappreciated Charlie Kaufman joint. Its on Netflix

2 Likes

I just watched Tenet last week. Tenet is the best piece of entertainment I have watched in while. The idea of bring able to reverse entropy on just a specific person/object is stellar (I think).

I think I should also add “The Gentlemen” by Guy Ritchie as notable mention of a great movie made in 2020.

There’s Pulp Fiction! With the famous Ezekiel 25:17 quote \m/\m/: https://youtu.be/Zxel-c5LCGI. @rookie101 you should definitely watch that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Definitely I haven’t seen pulp fiction. I guess I’ll just visit this
thread once in a while and pick up movies to see next. I haven’t seen
like 90% of the ones here.

2 Likes

Lucky Number Slevin is a good one if you like sorry dialogue and twist endings. Criminally underrated.

2 Likes

Lucky Number Slevin is a good one if you like
sorry dialogue and twist endings. Criminally
underrated.

What does sorry dialogue mean?

:joy: :joy: witty dialogue…what in the name of autocorrect is sorry dialogue??:sweat_smile:

:joy: :joy: witty dialogue…what in the name of autocorrect is sorry dialogue??:sweat_smile:

Now I’m surely lost! :slight_smile: